Bible Passage: 1 Corinthians 12
Spiritual gifts point not to the action itself but rather to the one empowering the action.
- Variety (vs. 1-11)
- Body (vs. 12-26)
- A Body of Individual Members (vs. 27-31)
Thinking (What does the Word of God say, “Exegesis”?) Head:
- Where were we looking in God’s Word? Summarize it in your own words.
- Did you have any questions about certain words, the text, or what was said?
- What do you think God wants us to understand about this section of Scripture? What is the purpose of including it in the Bible (How does it point to Jesus)?
- What does Paul start by discussing in verses 1-3?
- Paul identifies that there are varieties of gifts, service, and activities. What do they all share in common (vs. 4-6)?
- What are the manifestations of the Spirit for the common good listed here in verses 8-10, 27-31?
Attitude (My pattern of response to God and His Word, “Hermeneutic”) Heart:
- Why do you think Paul stresses the importance of the Holy Spirit as the source of the varieties of gifts, service, and activities?
- Paul mentioned in verses 24-25 that God is the one who composed the body and that there should be no division. How can spiritual gifts create division at Central?
- What part do you play, for the glory of God and the common good of others, in the body of Christ? What might prevent you from participating?
Behaviour (How does Jesus want to change me, what will His truth look/sound like in my life? “Application”) Hands:
- Take a few minutes to talk to a brother or sister in Christ about what your Spiritual gift might be.
- Discuss with them what you think yours is and why.
- Take this quiz to help in the discovery of your Spiritual gift: https://gifts.churchgrowth.org/spiritual-gifts-survey/