Bible Passage: Mark 14:22-31
All of us fall short, all of us deny Jesus, all of us betray Jesus. Yet, Jesus will always be there.
- As They Were Eating: A New Covenant (vs. 22-25)
- When They Had Hymned: Denial (vs. 26-31)
Worship by renewing our minds:
- Where were we looking in God’s Word? Summarize it in your own words.
- Did you have any questions about certain words, the text, or what was said?
- What do you think God wants us to understand about this section of Scripture? What is the purpose of including it in the Bible (How does it point to Jesus)?
- In what ways do verses 22-25 conclude verses 1-21? (Think mega-stuffed Oreo!)
- How does Mark use the word “broke” (v. 21)? There are 2 ways he uses it.
- What does Jesus tell His disciples in verses 26-31? How does Peter respond?
- In what ways did Peter’s fortitude in verse 31 influence the other disciples?
Grow by engaging our hearts with God’s Word:
- It is not a sin to be broken, to weep, and mourn in the face of betrayal. But Jesus does not want you to stay there. He wants you to continue to give out of your brokenness. What makes this so hard?
- What is the worst sin that you think you would never commit? What is it that you would lean on to ensure you never would?
- Don’t forget, in all of this, Jesus promises His presence to those that are about to run from Him. I don’t know where you are with Jesus, but I know He has gone before you and is waiting for you. Instead of denying the possibility of sin by focusing on “how could I ever have let this happen or get this far”, instead of comparing your sins to others, “well at least I have not done what so and so has done”, and instead of continually punishing yourself for how you led others astray, “I can never forgive myself for what I did” It is time to accept what Jesus has given through His body and blood and look ahead to meeting with Him. How does this passage apply to the “instead of” statements in your life?
Serve a hurting world by enlisting our bodies:
- What songs have you been singing this week?
- Is there anyone that you have denied or betrayed this week that you need to make right before the rooster crows in the morning?
- How can you give the hope of Jesus’s covenant to someone this week?